The Florida Charter Support Unit (CSU) offers the following services to charter schools within their first three years of operation. Although the primary mission of the Florida CSU is to assist start-up and new charter schools, we offer support to all charter schools in our state through research-based materials being created through a Creative Commons “share and share alike” license, as well as access to CSU webinars. Click on any of the services below to learn more.
- Support “Hotline” – Charter leaders or board members can call the Florida CSU directly at (727) 286-3185 when they need assistance. If you need advice on who to contact, where to go, or challenging operational questions, we’re here to help!
- Consultations – We are available to meet with school leaders and board members to discuss questions, review documents or provide general guidance for optimizing charter school operations. Utilizing online tools to meet electronically or by meeting in person, we are able to help charter schools with a wide variety of their operational concerns.
- Webinar series – It is often difficult to find professional development events for school leaders that are both convenient and specifically geared toward operating a charter school. The CSU will develop a webinar schedule to cover a variety of charter school operational needs targeted to help new charter school leaders expand upon their expertise.
- Document Creation & Reviews – We will provide reviews of charter school documents such as their policies, procedures, fiscal controls, compliance issues or budget. We can also provide models and suggestions for the charter school to consider for document revision(s).
- New School Institute – Schools looking to open next August are invited to attend our new school institute, where we invite school leaders to come together to discuss the myriad of tasks which must be completed in order to be prepared to open your school in August. The trainings will be held every other month starting in November, 2015.
- School Reviews – Sometimes charter leaders are so engrossed in their day-to-day operations that it is hard to take a step back and take an objective look at their school. The CSU will provide one site-based external review per school, where we will travel to your school for the purpose of conducting a formal site evaluation to learn more about the operations and offer suggestions on areas that may be needed for improvement.
- Budget Template Tool – The CSU maintains a comprehensive budget template tool which can be used by charter school leaders to develop a budget in full compliance with Florida Red Book standards.
- Board Presentations – Sign up to have a CSU staff person attend your governing board meeting to talk about the requirements of charter school boards and to talk about operational best practices for your Board.
- CSU Clearinghouse – All documents and other web-based resources developed by the Florida CSU will be posted online for easy access and download. Materials will be published with a Creative Commons license for all charter schools in Florida to use.